mobile nav

Subject

Trinity House

Group  From 20/5/1514 

Trinity House is the general lighthouse authority for England, Wales and the Channel Islands, a deep sea pilotage authority which also administers charitable funds mostly connected with seafarers. 

Incorporated by charter granted by 
Henry VIII in 1514. The first Trinity House was at Deptford and then at Ratcliff and Stepney in the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1660 Trinity House moved to Water Lane, off Eastcheap, the building being destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and subsequently rebuilt. It was again destroyed by fire in 1715 and the Corporation then moved to the present site in 1795. This building, shown in this picture, survived until 1940 bombing, an unusually good innings for Trinity House, and even then most of its front facade seems to have survived. As part of its 1953 restoration a new extension by A. E. Richardson and Houfe was built to the east. Past Masters of Trinity House include Samuel Pepys, the Duke of Wellington and the father of William Penn. Thomas Coram was a Brother.  The website, Trinity House gives some history and Ian Visits has visited.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Trinity House

Information Commemorated at

71036

Deptford Trinity Almshouses

Strond is an old spelling of 'strand' meaning a beach.

Read More

71589

Trinity Green Almshouses

This almes-house wherein 28 decay'd master & commanders of ships or ye widows...

Read More

48971

Trinity House

This plaque is on the 1953 extension to Trinity House.

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Trinity House

Information Creations

48972

Lighthouse keepers

The 'Elder Brethren' are the court of 31 people who run Trinity House, under ...

Read More