Plaque: Trinity House
The Trinity House
Incorporated by charter granted by Henry VIII in 1514.
Trinity House is the general lighthouse authority for England, Wales and the Channel Islands, a deep sea pilotage authority and also administers charitable funds mostly connected with seafarers.
The first Trinity House was at Deptford and then at Ratcliff and Stepney in the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1660 Trinity House moved to Water Lane, off Eastcheap, the building being destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and subsequently rebuilt. It was again destroyed by fire in 1715 and the Corporation then moved to the present site in 1795. Trinity House was partially destroyed by enemy action in 1940 and rebuilt in 1953.
This plaque is on the 1953 extension to Trinity House.
Site: Trinity House (4 memorials)
EC3, Trinity Square
Trinity House, was designed by architect Samuel Wyatt and built in 1796. The following year the Great Tower Hill Act enabled the creation of Trinity Square Gardens.
The magnificent building to the left of this one is the Port of London Authority HQ. We don't cover it since we couldn't find a memorial on it but we can direct you to Ornamental Passions who have done it proud.
Incidentally, we know of two sculpted lighthouses in London: on the facade of the old Abbey Nat building in Baker Street and on the corner of 42 Moorgate, another financial body. Not to forget the King's Cross Lighthouse building.