Building    From 1615  To 1670

Thomas Faryner and his shop

Categories: Food & Drink, Tragedy

Building

Born 1615-6, Thomas Faryner (or Farriner) joined the Baker's Company in 1637, and by 1649 had his own bakery/shop/home on Pudding Lane. It seems that someone failed properly to extinguish a fire in the bakery on the evening of 1 September and in the early hours of the 2nd he woke to find the building on fire. He and his family escaped but a maid died, and the Great Fire of London had started.

After the fire, Faryner rebuilt his business in Pudding Lane. He and his children signed the Bill falsely accusing Frenchman Robert Hubert of starting the fire. He died in 1670, aged 54–55,

Farine is French for flour. Is this man an example of nominative determinism, or was the name given to him, prompted by his occupation?  See Isambard Kingdom Brunel for more examples of this name game.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Thomas Faryner and his shop

Commemorated ati

Faryner's shop

Near this site stood the shop belonging to Thomas Faryner, the King's baker, ...

Read More

Plaque to a lost plaque commemorating the Great Fire

This plaque appears to be that oddest of things, a plaque commemorating a los...

Read More

The Monument - west and north

The bas relief by Cibber is worthy of close examination.  It shows a woman on...

Read More

Other Subjects

Sake Dean Mahomed

Sake Dean Mahomed

A Bengali Muslim, he joined the East India Company aged 11, where he served as a solder and fought a few times. Resigned in 1782 and two years later with his friend from the army Captain Godfrey Ev...

Person, Food & Drink, Race Issues, Indian Sub-continent

1 memorial
Smithfield Fish Market opened

Smithfield Fish Market opened

Thanks to (C) Peter Gregson for the picture.

Event, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial
T Walton (London) Ltd

T Walton (London) Ltd

Founded by T. Walton. See his page for more details about the shops. Our picture was generously offered to us by Monika Roleff who tells us: "This paper bag is part of the collection of ephemera o...

Group, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial
New River Head windmill

New River Head windmill

Used c.1709 - 1720 to pump water supplied via the New River from the round pond to the upper pond (now Claremont Square reservoir).

Building, Engineering, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Rodney's Head pub

Rodney's Head pub

Records show Rodney's Head pub was at 4 Old Street in 1851. In 1876 this was rebuilt as shown in this drawing which is pretty much as we see it today. By 1895 it was known as Old Rodney's Head a...

Building, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial