Newspaper, founded by John Walter on 1st January 1785 as The London Daily Universal Register and renamed as The Times on 1st January 1803. It was the first newspaper to send war correspondents to cover areas of conflict. Having passed through various ownerships, it was purchased by its current owners Rupert Murdoch's 'News International' in 1981. The introduction of new technology led to it moving its base from near Fleet Street to Wapping. In 2004 it changed its format from broadsheet to tabloid.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk