Building    From 1931  To 2016

Teddington Studios

Categories: Cinema, TV & Radio

Former film and television studios.

Originally Henry Chinnery of Weir House allowed filmmakers to use his greenhouse. Dedicated studios were built in the 1910s and were expanded and renamed. By the 1950s, filmmaking was in decline and the studios were bought by ABC Weekend TV. In 1968 they were taken over by Thames Television and London Weekend Television. Closed in 2016, the buildings demolished and Camera House apartments erected on the site.

Many popular TV shows were produced here including 'The Benny Hill Show', 'Man About the House' and the last four series of the 'Morecambe and Wise Shows'.

This 1913 map shows Weir House unencumbered with any film studios. This 1934 map shows the buildings marked as "Weir House", "Film studio" and Film studios". The 3D drawing here indicates that the ground between the buildings and the river was used for external sets.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Teddington Studios

Commemorated ati

Teddington Studios

Site of Teddington Studios where some of Britain's best-loved comedies and ch...

Read More

Other Subjects

Tallulah Bankhead

Tallulah Bankhead

Actor. Born and died America. Unsuccessful on Broadway so in 1923 came to London and was very successful on the West End stage. She returned to America and worked in both movies and on the stage. H...

Person, Cinema, Theatre, USA

1 memorial
Sir Carol Reed

Sir Carol Reed

Born Daisyfield, West Hill, Wandsworth. Film director, best known for The Third Man (1949), The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965) and Oliver! (1968). Knighted in 1953. Illegitimate son of the actor-prod...

Person, Cinema

1 memorial
John Barry

John Barry

Created the captions on the Hitchcock murals.  We think this means that he wrote them, rather than physically made them, and that he was chosen for his film knowledge.  But the existence of 'John B...

Person, Cinema

1 memorial
Peter Hall

Peter Hall

Sir Peter Reginald Frederick Hall CBE was a theatre and film director who was born on 22 November 1930 in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk. He founded the Royal Shakespeare Company and was its first artis...

Person, Cinema, Theatre

1 memorial
Red Hall Picture Palace

Red Hall Picture Palace

Cinema designed by H. George Leslie. The entrance facade was dominated by a figure of Mercury perched on top of a windmill-shaped tower. In May 1950 it was re-named the Gaumont. After the final fil...

Place, Cinema

1 memorial