mobile nav


Sunlight Wharf

Building  To 1986

Categories: Commerce

The Sunlight Wharf building was constructed 1906 and specialised in storage of furs, silk and tinned fruit.  The last working crane on the city waterfront was operated by LEP Transport Ltd at Sunlight Wharf.  It was dismantled in January 1983.  When the wharf was demolished the site was subject to an archaeological survey.

A London Inheritance have a very good post on this area.  Here we learn that Sunlight Wharf was used in 1927 to receive, from a sailing barge, Portland stone to repair St Pauls Cathedral.  At that time there were 4 cranes at the wharf (shown in our photo).  After the war these were replaced with the ten ton Butters crane, the last working crane, of which A London Inheritance has a photo.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Sunlight Wharf

Information Commemorated at

Sunlight Wharf

This site was previously called Sunlight Wharf, where the last working crane ...

Read More