Building    From 1722  To 2013

Sun Public House

This pub was destroyed in a WW2 air raid shortly before closing time on 25th September 1940. The plaque says that 20 people were killed; Pubwiki puts the number at 16. The site stood empty for many years before the pub was rebuilt in the modern style in 1960. It was eventually demolished to make way for shops and flats.

This photograph shows the pub before it was bombed.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Sun Public House

Commemorated ati

Sun Inn - Hammersmith

The Sun A public house called the Sun stood on this site from at least 1722. ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Robert Horner

Robert Horner

Last private owner of Spitalfields fruit and vegetable market.  Came from Essex, worked in the market and managed to buy the lease in 1875.  Forced to sell to the City of London in 1920.

Person, Commerce, Property

2 memorials
Highgate's original Gate House

Highgate's original Gate House

Erected at the entrance to the Bishop of London's Park.

Building, Commerce

1 memorial
Charles Robinson

Charles Robinson

In 1835 founded C.A. Robinson & Co.

Person, Commerce

2 memorials
Lord Ritchie of Dundee

Lord Ritchie of Dundee

Chairman of the Port of London Authority in 1935.

Person, Commerce, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Bank of England, Law Courts branch

Bank of England, Law Courts branch

This building is at 194 Fleet Street, between the Law Courts and Chancery Lane. From 1826 the Bank of England had branches around the country. The Law Courts branch was designed by Sir Arthur Blom...

Building, Commerce

1 memorial