Building From 1847 To 31/3/1991
The locomotive building works of the Great Eastern Railway.The original shops were built by the railway 'King', George Hudson. In addition to the engineering facilities, Hudson provided accommodation for the workmen in Stratford New Town, an area known for many years as 'Hudson's Town'. The first locomotive was constructed on the site in 1851, and in December 1891 an 0-6-0 tender locomotive was built and steamed in 9hr 47min, a world record yet to be beaten (2014). The last steam locomotive to be built was Class N7 0-6-2T No 999.