St Mary Rotherhithe watch-house
Building From 1821 To 1829
The building, situated close to the church of St Mary the Virgin, was used by a watchman or constable whose job was to to look out for wrongdoers; particularly grave-robbers or 'Resurrection Men' as they were known. Body snatching was rife in this area, because of its proximity to Guys Hospital which required fresh corpses for medical research. The watch-house closed when the Metropolitan Police was formed.