St Alphege, Southwark
Building From 1880 To 1991
In 1880 the church of St Alphege was built on the eastern corner of the junction of Lancaster Street and King James Street. It was dedicated in 1882. Post WW2 it went into decline and was declared redundant in 1983. In 1986 the interior of the church was used to film a TV episode of Only Fools and Horses. Demolished in 1991.
The congregation moved to the old church's hall nearby in King's Bench Street, where, 2015, it continues to worship. This hall also has a frontage in Rushworth Street, number 50, which is clearly of c.1930 in design but the King's Bench Street elevation is earlier. The buildings to the north of the hall are the former clergy house, now the oratory and rented out flats. From Edith's Streets we think this double-fronted hall was designed in 1910 by William Bucknall.