mobile nav

Subject

Spa Road Station

Picture source

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Spa Road Station

Building  From 1836  To 1915

Categories: Transport

A terminus of the London and Greenwich Railway, London's first railway. The original station was badly located and had a very narrow platform. Passengers were supposed to queue on the steps outside, but actually waited on the track itself! When London Bridge station opened, usage of the old station declined and it closed in 1838. The viaduct on which it had stood was eventually widened and with increased public demand, a new station opened in 1842. In 1867 it was relocated further along the viaduct. It was closed as a wartime security measure, and never re-opened.

By the 1860s the construction of railways in London was extensive. One of Anthony Trollope’s characters is “… having to meet a synod of contractors, surveyors, and engineers, to discuss which of the remaining thoroughfares of London should not be knocked down by the coming of the railways…” (‘The Claverings’, 1866-7).

Southwark News has a post about the station's history.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Spa Road Station

Information Commemorated at

52446

Spa Road Station - Priter Road

{Circular plaque:} {Circular plaque, around a drawing of the viaduct and St J...

Read More

73140

Spa Road Station - Spa Road

The web page given on the plaque plots 900 British transport heritage sites o...

Read More