Smithfield Poultry Market
Event From 5/7/1963
The original poultry market by Horace Jones was opened in 1875 but destroyed by fire in 1958. The new building has a concrete elliptical paraboloid roof with, it was claimed at the time, the largest clear spanning dome in Europe. Designed by T. P. Bennett and Son, the building was intended to be replicated across the whole Smithfield site replacing the other buildings, but, thankfully, this did not happen.
Sir Thomas Bennett had previously designed the magnificent Saville Theatre.