Sir Reginald Blomfield
Person Male Born 20/12/1856 Died 27/12/1942
Architect, garden designer and author. Born Devon. Followed his uncle, Sir Arthur Blomfield, into architecture.
Buildings include: United University Club (1906), south-east corner of Suffolk Street; Kinnaird House (1915), immediately opposite on the south-west corner; Lambeth Bridge (1929-32); the remodelling of Regent Street.
One of the four principal architects of the Imperial War Graves Commission (which became the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in 1960), the others being: Lutyens, Sir Herbert Baker and Charles Holden.
In his role at the Imperial War Graves Commission he designed the Cross of Sacrifice, which was was erected in almost every Commonwealth war cemetery. This design was also used in some memorials in the UK, e.g. Highgate School and the Chelsea memorial.