mobile nav


Seven Dials original pillar

Building  From 1820 

Categories: History

The original column, erected 1693-4, was removed in 1773 and acquired by the architect James Paine who kept the pieces at his home in Addlestone.   In 1820 Weybridge wanted to erect a memorial to the Duchess of York who had died there.  The column was purchased by public subscription and re-erected on the Green in Weybridge.  And since then Weybridge have refused to give us our pillar back!  So in 1989 the Seven Dials Trust went ahead and erected a new one. The Seven Dials Trust gives more information.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Seven Dials original pillar

Information Commemorated at


Seven Dials monument

To many people's disappointment, the pillar itself is not the needle of the s...

Read More