Building   

Sandemanian chapel

Categories: Religion

The Sandemanians were a Christian sect founded by John Glas in Scotland and spread into England and America by his son-in-law Robert Sandeman. Sandeman arrived in London in April 1761 and established a congregation which met first at Glover’s Hall, then at St Martins-le-Grand, moving to Paul’s Alley in the Barbican in 1778 and to Barnsbury Grove (this building) in 1862 where they stayed until about 1900. Faraday first attended at Paul’s Alley as a child with his parents. In 1832 he was appointed Deacon and rose to the position of Elder (one of only three) which he held 1840-4 and 1860-4, the last two years being at the Barnsbury Grove Chapel where he continued to worship until his death. This Chapel was sometimes known as the Pocock’s Fields, or Bride Street, Chapel and its street has been renamed Faraday Close. In 1906 the building was converted to be the North Telephone Exchange (how appropriate is that?) and two memorials were erected and unveiled by Lord Kelvin: the floor-mounted brass “MF” shown here, which indicates the position of Faraday's pew,and a wall-mounted plaque which marked the position which he usually occupied on the preaching platform. This latter plaque has been removed.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Sandemanian chapel

Commemorated ati

Michael Faraday - N7 - M.F.

This extremely unusual memorial is a brass plate, only 4 or 5 inches across, ...

Read More

Michael Faraday - N7 - plaque

This plaque was first erected in the Sandemanian Chapel, at the same time, 19...

Read More

Other Subjects

Samuel Martin

Samuel Martin

First minister, from 1842, of Westminster Chapel.

Person, Religion

1 memorial
John Hampden Gurney

John Hampden Gurney

Anglican clergyman and hymnist. Born the son of a lawyer at 12 Serjeant's Inn. Rector of St Mary's, Bryanston Square, from 1847 until his death at home 63 Gloucester Place.

Person, Music / songs, Religion

2 memorials
St Mary Moorfields

St Mary Moorfields

Catholic church built by architect John Newman in 1820. Replaced in 1902 by the church of the same name in the north section of Eldon Street.From the church's website: "As the permanent seat of the...

Building, Religion

1 memorial