R.A.S.C.. Fought but did not die in WW1.
Andrew Behan has kindly provided this research: First he writes "The memorial shows S. Bewsey having been a member of the R.A.S.C. (i.e. the Royal Army Service Corps) but I was unable to trace his WW1 service records. This is not surprising considering that 70% of the records of all WW1 army service personnel were destroyed in an air raid during WW2. The remaining 30% that were salvaged, often in a poor condition, are referred to as the 'burnt records' at The National Archives, Ruskin Avenue, Richmond and it would appear that Sydney Bewsey's was not one of the records that survived. What does exist are the UK military campaign Medal & Award Rolls and the British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards. These show details of those army personnel who were awarded medals such as the 1914 Star, the 1914-1915 Star, The British War Medal 1914-1918 and The Victory Medal.These records contain the individual's name, rank, regiment(s), their service number(s) and other miscellaneous information about them. I could trace nothing for Sydney Bewsey, so it would appear that if he did serve in the Royal Army Service Corps, he did not enter a Theatre of War and thereby qualify for the award of any medals."
Sydney Bewsey was born on 19 July 1899 in Lambeth. He was one of at least seven children of James John Bewsey (1870-1924) and Ada Frances Bewsey née Cave (1871-1925). His father had been a Gun-maker when he married in 1892 but later in life was a Toll Clerk in the London Central Meat Market. On the 16 August 1899 both he and an elder brother, Stanley Edward Bewsey, were baptised in the Parish Church of St. Andrew, Lambeth, The baptismal register shows the family living at 9 Roupell Street, London, SE1 and this address is confirmed in electoral registers that show his father resident from 1898 to 1904.The 1901 census confirms that he was living here with his parents and his elder brothers, James Harrison Bewsey (1892-1917) and Stanley Edward Bewsey (1898-1960). Electoral registers in 1906 and 1907 show his father as resident of 2 Streatley Buildings, Streatley Place, Hampstead and from 1909 to 1915 show they had moved to 37 New Buildings, Flask Walk, Hampstead. The 1911 census confirms he was at this address with his parents, his two elder brothers and two younger brothers, Arthur Bewsey (1901-1983) and Edward Albert Bewsey (1904-1983). The WW1 memorial at New Buildings (now known as New Court), states that he served in the Royal Army Service Corps. Electoral registers from 1918 show his parents as the registered voters at 8 New Buildings, Flask Walk, Hampstead and he too was listed there when he turned 21 years of age.
On 4 April 1926 he married Elizabeth Hannah Sheen at St Matthews Church, Islington. The marriage register shows his address to have been 8 New Buildings, Flask Walk, London, NW3 and his occupation was a Butcher. Her address was recorded as 19 Oxford Road, Islington. They had six children, Elizabeth Maud Bewsey born 1927, Dorothy Hilda Bewsey born 1928, Sidney J. A. Bewsey born 1931, Irene G. Bewsey born 1933, Donald R. Bewsey born 1936 and Vera J. Bewsey born 1938. They continued to be shown on the electoral register as residing at 8 New Buildings until 1935 but the registers for 1938 show them at 33 New Buildings, Flask Walk Hampstead. After World War Two, electoral registers from 1945 to 1949 show them at 75 Long Dive, South Ruislip, Middlesex and from 1951 until his death, aged 60 years on 15 August 1959, at 16 Beaumont Rise, Upper Holloway, London, N19. Probate records show that his widow was granted administration on 2 November 1959 and that his estate totalled £386-19s-4d.