Royal Philharmonic Society
Group From 24/1/1813
Created as the Philharmonic Society of London, it had an orchestra which initially performed in the 'old' Argyll Rooms in Regent Street, and continued in the replacement building until that was destroyed by fire in 1830. Briefly it used the King's Theatre in the Haymarket but then moved to the Hanover Square Rooms where it continued to perform until 1869. It moved to the larger St James's Hall and then in 1894 to the Queen's Hall. Changed its name to the RPS in its centenary year. Continued the concerts through both world wars. This booklet gives the full history.