Auxiliary Fireman Percy Charles Aitchison was born on 2 February 1914 in Brockley, London, a son of Robert Imrie Aitchison (1876-1964) and Eugenie Louise Sarah Aitchison née Demolice (1874-1939). His birth was registered in the 1st quarter of 1914 in the Lewisham registration district. He was baptised on 18 March 1914 at St Antholin's Church, Nunhead, London where the baptismal register shows the family were living at 55 Ewhurst Road, Crofton Park, Brockley and that his father's occupation was recorded as a builder.
Electoral registers in 1928 and 1929 show his parents listed at 8 Courtrai Road, London, SE4, together with his two brothers Robert John James Aitchison (1904-1952) and Arthur Stanley Aitchison (1905-1987). His mother died on 15 May 1939.
The 1939 England and Wales register shows him as a member of the Auxiliary Fire Service at the District Fire Station in Glebe Way, West Wickham, Kent, a single man whose normal occupation was a Clerk and Shorthand Typist, whilst his father and elder brothers were registered at home at 20 Copse Avenue, West Wickham. His father was a warden in the Air Raid Precaution (ARP) service, whilst his two brothers also served as members of the Auxiliary Fire Service in Beckenham.
He died, aged 27 years, on 20 April 1941 when a German parachute mine landed on Auxiliary Fire Service Sub Station 24U, which was housed in Old Palace LCC School, St. Leonards Street, Poplar, and was buried at Beckenham Cemetery and Crematorium, Elmers End Road, Beckenham, BR3 4TD.
On 6 October 1941 administration of his estate was granted to his father and his effects totalled £390-16s-6d.
He is also commemorated on the Firefighters Memorial and in their Book of Remembrance. His name is also recorded in the Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour that is held near the entrance to St George's Chapel, at the west end of Westminster Abbey.
Credit for this entry to: Andrew Behan.