mobile nav


People's Palace

Building  From 1887  To 1954

Proposed by Walter Besant the first People's Palace was built on 5 acres of land on the Mile End Road, starting with the Queen's Hall, opened in 1887. By 1892 a library, swimming pool, gym and winter garden had been added. Entertainment and education were provided and by 1900 the University of London introduced a Bachelor of Science degree. It burnt down in 1931 but the educational sections were quickly rebuilt as Queen Mary College. In 1937 a hall, called the People's Palace, was built and in 1954 was subsumed into QMC.

Queen Marys hold a plan of the original Palace.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
People's Palace

Information Commemorated at


Baron de Stern clock tower

Ornamental Passions has a photo of the seagull relief and explains that "Time...

Read More


Clement Attlee statue

It's rather disconcerting that the plaque refers to "Queen Mary College" as "...

Read More


People's Palace

The plaque names only 6 relief panels but there are 7, music being represente...

Read More