mobile nav

Subject

Old Cock Tavern - Fleet Street

Picture source: London Remembers from 'London Street Views' by Tallis

Old Cock Tavern - Fleet Street

Building  From 1549 

Categories: Commerce, Food & Drink

From PubWiki: "It was originally established in 1549 on the north side of Fleet Street at No. 190. In the 1600s the pub was called the Cock & Bottle. The original pub closed in 1886 and was demolished [to accommodate a new branch of the Bank of England (itself now a pub)]. A replacement Cock Tavern was built in 1888 at No. 22 Fleet Street on the south side of the road."

We've put the section we believe in error into quarantine, in square brackets. The Bank of England pub is NOT at no 190 (now the middle of the block with Coutts Bank). It's one block further west. The current Cock Tavern is indeed no.22, almost immediately opposite Coutts.

This1886 insurance map is helpful.

Our image is a photo of the relevant section of Fleet Street from the magnificent 1839 'London Street Views' by Tallis. You can see 190 and, almost opposite, 22, but, disappointingly, neither is marked as a pub. The site of the current Bank of England pub is outside the image to the upper left.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Old Cock Tavern - Fleet Street

Information Commemorated at

Old Cock Tavern - Fleet Street - lost plaque

Ye Olde Cock Tavern, est. circa 1554. The Cock was opened in 1888 with the fi...

Read More