Created by Thomas Joplin (1790?–1847) and George Fife Angas (1789 – 1879) as one of the first joint stock banks with a base in London and provincial branches.
The London base was at 15 Bishopsgate, at the junction with Threadneedle Street. This Bishopsgate explains the arch on the bank's device. Atop the arch sit two squirrels denoting thrift and foresight and they support an urn which references The Flower Pot Inn which originally stood on the site of the entrance to the Bishopsgate office.
Appointed to the Bankers Clearing House between 1866-86. 1962 acquired the District Bank.
1970 merged into National Westminster Bank.