Place    From 1850  To 1922

North London Railway

Categories: Transport

Rail company. It had lines connecting the north of London to the East and West India Docks in the east of the city. The main east to west route is now part of London Overground's North London Line. Other NLR lines fell into disuse but were later revived as part of the Docklands Light Railway, and the Overground's East London Line. The company was originally called the East & West India Docks & Birmingham Junction Railway (E&WID&BJR).

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
North London Railway

Commemorated ati

Bow Railway Station

Site of Bow Railway Station of the North London Railway opened 1870 - demolis...

Read More

Other Subjects

men and women of the London Midland and Scottish Railway

men and women of the London Midland and Scottish Railway

The building in which some of these people worked is nearby. 1934 Euston House was built on what is now Eversholt Street as the headquarters of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. Designed by...

Group, Transport

1 memorial
Palace Gates Line

Palace Gates Line

The line was constructed by the Great Eastern Railway with a temporary terminus at Noel Park and Wood Green before being opened to Palace Gates. A connection to Bowes Park on the Hertford Loop Line...

Place, Transport

1 memorial
James (Jim) Selby

James (Jim) Selby

Stage coachman.  Lived at 7 Edgware Road.  On 13 July 1888, he established a record by driving “The Old Times” coach from Hatchett's Hotel to the “Old Ship” at Brighton and back - 108 miles in 7 ho...

Person, Sport / Games, Transport

1 memorial
Leslie Green

Leslie Green

Architect. Born Leslie William Green in Maida Vale. In 1903 he was appointed as architect for the Underground Electric Railways Company of London (UERL) to design stations for three underground rai...

Person, Architecture, Transport

2 memorials
Ace Cafe

Ace Cafe

It originally catered for the traffic on the newly opened North Circular Road. Destroyed in a WW2 air raid, it was rebuilt in 1949 and through the 50s became a haven for the 'ton-up-boys' and then ...

Building, Food & Drink, Transport

2 memorials