Building From 1900 To 1912
Originally known as the South Wimbledon, Merton and District Cottage Hospital. It opened with six beds and two cots. It was renamed in 1905 to commemorate the centenary of Nelson's victory at the Battle of Trafalgar, and presumably because Nelson's home had been in the neighbourhood. It outgrew its premises and a new location was found in Kingston Road, Merton Park. The picture is believed to be of the men's ward of the original premises.