National Sporting Club
Group From 5/3/1891 To /10/1929
Founded by John Fleming and A. F. "Peggy" Bettinson. First president Hugh Cecil Lowther, Fifth Earl of Lonsdale. It became the home of modern glove boxing, with bouts taking place in silence, after dinner. In the 1920s Boxing found a mass audience and the days of this gentleman's boxing club were numbered. In October 1928 they were forced to allow the public in to the club. In 1929 they moved out of King Street and then used at least 4 other venues until WW2 at which point the club folded.
The image, by Phil May, shows the club in 1897. MissSamPerrin is an excellent source for this subject, with interesting images.