London District of Fitzrovia
Group From 1940
Area of London, bordered roughly by Euston Road to the north, Oxford Street to the south, Great Portland Street to the west and Gower Street to the east. Probably named after the Fitzroy Tavern public house, where the bohemian community had traditionally congregated. The name is first thought to have been recorded in print by Tom Driberg, in the William Hickey gossip column of the Daily Express in 1940.