Building From 1836 To 1931
The (Red) Lion Brewery, designed by Francis Edwards, stood on the South Bank from 1836. The brewery occupied the site now used by the Royal Festival Hall and its stables, warehouses, etc. were on a site immediately opposite to the east on Belvedere Road. Originally run by James Goding and his family the brewery was taken over by Hoare and Co in 1924. The main building was badly damaged by fire in 1931, after which it was used for storage and then became derelict, until 1949 when the Royal Festival Hall was built on the site. More information at British History on-line.