Leyton Town Hall (second)
Building From 1896
There are two adjacent buildings on High Road Leyton, both of which have served as the Town Hall. The first was the yellow brick building on the corner with Ruckholt Road. When this was outgrown the red brick and Portland stone (a style nicknamed 'streaky bacon') replacement was built next door, on the corner with Adelaide Road. And the original later became Leyton Library. The 1913 postcard shows them both, with the first one in the background.
The red brick building, designed by John Johnson, was the centre of local government in Leyton until 1965, when the new Borough of Waltham Forest was formed. After falling into disuse, it underwent a re-development in 2010, and its Great Hall now hosts a variety of functions. During the 2012 Olympics, part of it became a 'pop-up' public house called 'Leyton Technical'. It proved to be so popular, that it became a permanent venue.