The meat and fish Market first occupied a series of courts, behind the grand lead-roofed city mansion of Nevill House on Leadenhall Street, in the 14th Century. As early as 1321 it was an established meeting place of the Poulterers whilst the Cheesemongers brought their produce to the Market from 1397. The Corporation of London acquired the freehold of the property in 1411 and the spacious market continued to be used for the sale of fish, meat, poultry and corn. In 1666 parts of the Market were damaged by the Great Fire and were subsequently rebuilt. The exisiting wrought iron and glass roof buildings were designed by the City Architect Horace Jones and built by the Corporation in 1881.