Group From 1872
A retail and commercial bank with headquarters in Manchester. Formed in 1872 as the Loan and Deposit Department of the Co-operative Wholesale Society, becoming the CWS Bank four years later. However, the bank did not become a registered company until 1971. In 1975, the bank became the first new member of the Committee of London Clearing Banks for 40 years and thus able to issue its own cheques. Merged with the Britannia Building Society in 2009.