mobile nav


Kensington Gardens

Place  From 1689 

Royal Parks say: "William III bought what was originally part of Hyde Park in 1689.  An asthma sufferer, the king found the location quiet and the air salubrious and so he commissioned Sir Christopher Wren to design the redbrick building that is Kensington Palace. Queen Anne enlarged the Palace Gardens by 'transferring' 30 acres from Hyde Park and was responsible for the creation of the Orangery in 1704."
Queen Caroline extended the Gardens even further into Hyde Park.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Kensington Gardens

Information Commemorated at

Buck Hill bastion

This is really an information board rather than a plaque and has a number of ...

Read More

Ha-ha in Hyde Park

We find the terminology used on the information board confusing; 'bastion' is...

Read More