Kenneth J. Bowles
Person Male Born 15/10/1910 Died 20/4/1941
Auxiliary Fireman Kenneth John Bowles was born on 15 October 1910 in Beckenham, Kent, the second son of Alfred Edward Bowles (b.1879) and Minnie Bowles née Bear (1877-1946). The 1911 census shows him living at 49 Clock House Road, Beckenham with his parents and elder brother Cyril Alfred Bowles (b.1906). His father was shown as a Commercial Traveller of China & Glass.
He married Mollie Langford (b.1909) and the marriage was registered in the 3rd quarter of 1938 in the Bromley registration district. The 1939 England and Wales Register shows him living with her parents at 27 Beckenham Road, West Wickham, Kent and his occupation is recorded as a Meat-Importer Managing Clerk.
He joined the Auxiliary Fire Service and died, aged 30 years, on 20 April 1941 when a German parachute mine landed on Auxiliary Fire Service Sub Station 24U, which was housed in Old Palace LCC School, St. Leonards Street, Poplar. He was buried at Beckenham Cemetery and Crematorium, Elmers End Road, Beckenham, BR3 4TD.
Probate records confirm his address was 27 Beckenham Road, West Wickham, and that his body was not found until 21 April 1941. Administration of his estate was granted to his widow on 21 October 1941 and his effects totalled £403-13s-4d.
He is also commemorated on the Firefighters Memorial and in their Book of Remembrance. His name is also recorded in the Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour that is held near the entrance to St George's Chapel, at the west end of Westminster Abbey.