Jules Rimet Trophy
Concept From 1930 To 1970
The first World Cup trophy. Designed by Abel Lafleur and made of gold-plated sterling silver and lapis lazuli on a white and yellow marble base. It was originally called 'Victory' as it depicted the Greek goddess Nike. Renamed in 1946 in honour of Jules Rimet the president of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association). In 1970 it was won for the third time by the Brazilian team, which allowed them to keep it for perpetuity. In March 1966, it was famously stolen while on show in London. It was discovered some days later under a hedge in south London by a dog named Pickles.