John Wesley's house
Building From 1779 To 1791
Wesley built the chapel first, 1778, and then two houses, one either side, one for his own use and one for visiting preachers and their hangers-on. Both designed by George Dance the younger who also designed the chapel. The visitors' house to the north was demolished in the late 19th century. Wesley, whose wife had left him, moved into his house in 1779 and lived there during the winters for the rest of his life, touring the rest of the year. He occupied the first floor, the rest being used by visitors, preachers, servants.
Following his death the house was first used by the Superintendent Minister of the Chapel and was opened as a museum in 1898.