Person Male Born 2/9/1816 Died 6/9/1902
Instituted as Rector of Christ Church Spitalfields on 15 Feb 1856 and still there in 1867. Not to be confused with John Coleridge Patteson, Bishop of Melanesia (1827 – 1871).
Our colleague Andrew Behan has researched this name and provided the following:
John Patteson was born on 2 September 1816 in Norwich, Norfolk, the son of John Staniford Patteson and Anne Elizabeth Patteson, nee Tasker. His father was a director of Steward, Patteson & Stewards, Brewers of Norwich and had been Mayor of Norwich in 1788. He was baptised on 4 September 1816 in St Giles Church, Norwich. He entered Corpus Christi College, Cambridge on 29 June 1832 where he gained both his BA and MA. He was the curate in Stalbridge, Dorset, 1837-1844 and the perpetual curate at St Jude's, Chelsea, 1844-1855. On 23 June 1846 he married Elizabeth Hoare at St John's Parish Church, Hampstead. She was the daughter of the banker, Samuel Hoare (1783–1847) and his wife Louisa Hoare (1784–1836), nee Gurney. The 1851 census shows them living at 7 St Leonards Terrace, Chelsea, with a housemaid, a cook and a footman. They had six children, John Staniforth Patteson 1850-1850, James Carlos Patteson 1851-1902, Frank Eugene Patteson 1854-1919, Alice Juliana Patteson 1855-1883, Caroline Elizabeth Patteson 1857-1941 and Catherine Louisa Patteson 1859-1920.
He was the rector at Christ Church, Spitalfields, 1855-1867 and the 1861 census shows their address as No.1 Church Street, Spitalfields. He was the rector of Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich, 1867-1896 and the 1871 census records their address as Thorpe Street, Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich although the 1881 census has their address as Rectory House, Thorpe next Norwich and the 1891 census as The Rectory, Yarmouth Road, Thorpe next Norwich. He was made an Honorary Canon of Norwich in 1882. The 1901 census shows them living at Heigham Grove House, Norwich. His wife died on 25 May 1902, leaving £13,848-3s-3d in her estate and he died just over 3 months later on 6 September 1902, aged 88 years and was buried on 10 September 1902 at St Peters Church, Cringleford, Norfolk. His estate was originally shown as £35,665-3s-6d but was resworn in December 1902 as £39,665-3s-6d.