Person    | Male  Born 1825  Died 12/12/1850

John Abernethy Warburton

Categories: Property

John Abernethy Warburton

Initially this plaque looked like it was raised by a man simply concerned about his property.

The only notable Warburton we could find in the area is a Dr Warburton who managed the insane asylum which took over Pembroke House after Thomas Braidwood's school for the deaf had moved out. It then became known as Dr. Warburton's House. This was on the site of what is now the Bayford Street Industrial Centre, about a mile to the north of the plaque. We struggled to link our J. A. Warburton to Dr Warburton and were beginning to think there was no connection.

Then at Studymore (packed with facts about the lunatic asylums of Hackney) we found our man. This gives his first names and dates and explains that he inherited 3 lunatic asylums from his father John (d.1845), via his brother, Thomas, who only survived their father by 2 years. At one stage the family home was in Exmouth Place, backing onto Pembroke House.

Studymore also led us to British History Online which explains: By marriage a Thomas Warburton acquired a lunatic asylum, Whitmore (formerly Balmes) House. "The asylum passed to Thomas's son Dr. John Warburton (d. 1845) and was closed in the mid 19th century, although more crowded madhouses in Bethnal Green remained in the family. A house which Thomas held from 1801 in Mare Street was to be demolished in 1847 and was commemorated in Warburton Road." 

The grandfather Thomas (d.1836) purchased the Bethnal House Asylum in 1800. This is the one alongside the plaque erected by his grandson proclaiming his ownership.

At the Monumental Inscriptions of Middlesex we found the family's dates. Dr John Warburton died 2 June 1845, aged 52. His eldest son Thomas died 2 February, 1846, aged 24. John Abernethy died 12 December, 1850, aged 25. Very early deaths for both sons. Possibly running a string of lunatic asylums was not good for one's health.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
John Abernethy Warburton

Commemorated ati

Warburton property - lunatic asylum

7 1/2 inches east of this stone the half of a party wall, & 59 feet 4 1/2...

Read More

Other Subjects

Clapton House

Clapton House

It stood to the north of Clapton Pond, probably on the site of the house of Thomas Wood, later Serjeant of the Pantry, who lived in Hackney in 1597 and was a vestryman in 1627. The building on the ...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Devonshire House

Devonshire House

Built for the third Duke of Devonshire in about 1740 and used as the London residence for his family until its demolition in 1924.  The garden to the north stretched as far as Lansdowne House.  The...

Building, Architecture, Property

1 memorial
William Jefferies Collins

William Jefferies Collins

Architect and housing developer. He purchased twenty three acres at the foot of Muswell Hill in 1899, and began to build traditional family sized houses. This area had been occupied by Rookfield, A...

Person, Architecture, Property

1 memorial
St Pancras Housing Society

St Pancras Housing Society

Responsible for, among others, the 1927 Garden Estate in Somers Town. A pamphlet, 'Forever Building;A Short History of the St. Pancras Housing Society 1924-1954' was published in 1955.

Group, Property, Social Welfare

1 memorial
Stoke Newington Manor House

Stoke Newington Manor House

The photograph appears under Stoke Newington Manor House on the Hackney Plaques and Local History website. There is no further explanation. Maybe it shows excavations at the site.

Building, Property

1 memorial