Person    | Male  Born 29/7/1923  Died 5/5/2012

Jim Marshall

Categories: Engineering, Music / songs

Businessman and pioneer of guitar amplification. Born in London. An electrical engineer he built a portable amplification system, which he used in his evening job as a singer and drummer.  On 7 July 1960 he opened a music store with his wife Violet and son Terry called ‘Jim Marshall and Son’ at 76 Uxbridge Road in Hanwell. This developed into the Marshall Amplification Company.

In March 1963 a second shop was opened almost opposite, at 93 Uxbridge Road. In June 1964 a  dedicated factory was opened on Silverdale Road in Hayes.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and other blues rock-based bands from the late 1960s such as Free, used Marshall stacks both in the studio and live on stage making them among the most sought after and most popular amplifiers in the industry and giving Marshall the nickname of the 'Father (or Lord) of Loud'.

Our source for this information is mainly Marshall, where there is a much fuller account of how the business grew and its widespread influence.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Jim Marshall

Commemorated ati

Jim Marshall - wrong location

The plaque was unveiled by Brian Poole (of Brian Poole and the Tremeloes). Po...

Read More

Marshall's - pavement plaque at 76

Jim Marshall OBE, 1923 - 2012, founder of Marshall Amplification

Read More

Other Subjects

Northern Outfall Sewer

Northern Outfall Sewer

A major 'gravity' sewer running from Hackney to Beckton. Mainly designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette after an outbreak of cholera in 1853 and the 'Great Stink' in the Thames of 1858. Our picture shows...

Place, Engineering, Social Welfare

2 memorials
Sir William Henry White

Sir William Henry White

2014: Via Facebook Martin Evans suggests this man for the name panel at IC.  His close links with IC are indicated by him becoming a governor at the same time that the building was being erected.  ...

Person, Engineering

1 memorial
Hammersmith Bridge

Hammersmith Bridge

The original bridge was designed by William Tierney Clark, and was the first suspension bridge over the River Thames. By the 1870s, it became evident that it was not strong enough to support the vo...

Building, Engineering

4 memorials
Kingschoole sluice

Kingschoole sluice

"Kingschoole" refers to the passage of the Tyburn river through the grounds of Westminster School.  'Sluice' refers to an artificial water channel controlled at its head by a gate.  And there is in...

Building, Engineering

1 memorial
Tom Bates

Tom Bates

Assistant to Frederick Bremer. He helped build the first British motor car with an internal combustion engine.

Person, Engineering

1 memorial