Group   

Hayward Brothers ironmongery

Categories: Commerce

The picture shows the original shop sign in situ - the camera position provides quite a surreal image. From Glassian, the picture source: “The sign … which stood above the corner shop at Number 23, St. George's Place, was the Hayward Brothers trademark: it appeared on bill-headings and advertisements and was embossed on ironwork ... Said to date from the 16th century and to have once stood over an inn, the sign first appeared over Number 25, Antony Walker's ironmongery shop: ironmongers make both "dogs" and pots. When Walker retired, Thomas Noble (or his successor) bought the sign and moved it to Number 23, which remained an ironmonger's works for the next 160 years until being destroyed in World War II.”

In about 1800 the east side of Blackfriars Road south of Union Street was named St George's Place.

Ironmongers would sell metal pots and fire-dogs (for holding the logs in a fireplace).

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Hayward Brothers ironmongery

Commemorated atInformation

Dog and Pot sculpture

Dickens was a boy of 12 when he passed this sign on his way to work in 1824. ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Fakeblueplaques / Society for the Promotion of Historic Buildings

Fakeblueplaques / Society for the Promotion of Historic Buildings

Londonist informs that the registered address of the website, where you can order a plaque, is 118 Hillfield Avenue N8, the site of plaque no 4. We have 3 of these non-plaques still to publish, no ...

Group, Commerce

3 memorials
Henry Clarke

Henry Clarke

Businessman and politician. He was a coal importer and commission merchant in Gracechurch Street. When the first London County Council elections were held in 1889, he became one of four councillors...

Person, Commerce, Politics & Administration

2 memorials
Honsway C&E Foundation

Honsway C&E Foundation

We believe this is/was a commercial organisation with offices in Gerrard Street.

Group, Commerce

1 memorial
Freemasons' Tavern

Freemasons' Tavern

The first, 1775, building (in the picture) was replaced by a four storey building in 1803. It was rebuilt again in 1864 by the Freemasons who, in 1909, renovated it and changed its name to the Conn...

Building, Commerce, Food & Drink

2 memorials
Hilary Weston

Hilary Weston

Born and raised in Dublin as Hilary Mary Frayne. Married Galen Weston in 1966. They moved to Toronto in 1974, and HW became a Canadian citizen. Lieutenant Governor of Ontario  1997 - 2002.

Person, Commerce, Politics & Administration, Canada, Ireland

1 memorial