Place    From 1651  To 1960

Hay's Wharf

Categories: Commerce, Food & Drink

The land between Tooley Street and the Thames has been occupied by wharves and warehouses since the middle ages. Hay's Wharf originated as a Tooley Street brew-house of which Alexander Hay took ownership in 1651. In 1656 Hay let part of the wharf and buildings to the New River Company.  This became known as Pipe Borers’ Wharf and here trees were hollowed out to make London’s first water mains. The Hay's Wharf Company grew to own most of the complex between London and Tower Bridges.  

The current Hay's Wharf Buildings were constructed in 1856 by Sir William Cubitt on the site of the 18th century wharf. Hay's Wharf was one of the earliest complexes to incorporate fireproofing, using incombustible floors of brick arches on cast iron beams. Despite this Hay's Wharf was destroyed in the great fire of Tooley Street of 1861, and then largely rebuilt. The wharf handled all cargoes except tobacco, but specialised in provisions and tea. In the 1860's the use of cold storage was pioneered here and the area became known as "London's Larder". 75% of the bacon, butter, cheese and canned meat needed for London was stored here. In the 1960s the cargo business was revolutionised by the introduction of container ships and it all moved away from the centre of London. Incidentally, don't believe anyone who says the word "wharf" is an acronym for "warehouse at river front". Complete rubbish; the word has an eminently respectable etymology from Old English.

2021: A London Inheritance has an excellent post on Hay's Wharf and nearby.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Hay's Wharf

Commemorated ati

Glaziers Hall

The Glaziers Hall The land in this area formed part of the site of the cloist...

Read More

Great fire of Tooley Street

2021: This plaque has been replaced with a similar plaque, re-branded to prom...

Read More

Hay's Wharf - riverside

Hay's Galleria In the mid 1850's, following the steady rise of the River Tham...

Read More

Hay's Wharf - Tooley Street

The little plaque that you can see at the top of the picture is disappointing...

Read More

Hay's Wharf war memorial

To the memory of those members of the staff of the proprietors of Hay's Wharf...

Read More

Show all 6

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Hay's Wharf

Creations i

Silver Jubilee - Montague Close

This monument, built with the aid of funds donated by the Pilgrim Trust, was ...

Read More

Other Subjects

William Kiffin

William Kiffin

Non-conformist minister.  Born in London.  Became rich in the wool trade.  Died in London.  Buried in Bunhill burial ground.

Person, Commerce, Religion

1 memorial
Eyre Arms Tavern

Eyre Arms Tavern

St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex. Until the end of the eighteenth century (when plans for residential development first appeared) it remained in agricultural use. By 17...

Building, Commerce, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Kleinwort Benson

Kleinwort Benson

Private banking company.

Group, Benefactor, Commerce

1 memorial
William Ashworth

William Ashworth

Worked for the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society. Was on the building committee for the Abbey Wood branch in 1912.

Person, Commerce, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Bow Fair

Bow Fair

Known as the Green Goose fair, it was held on the Thursday after Pentecost. A green goose was a young or mid-summer goose, and also a slang term for a cuckold or a low woman. In 1630, John Taylor, ...

Event, Commerce

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Charles Jamrach

Charles Jamrach

Dealer in birds and wildlife generally. Born Johann Christian Carl Jamrach in either Hamburg or Memel (depending on source). He moved to London and became an importer, breeder, and exporter of anim...

Person, Commerce, Germany

2 memorials