mobile nav

Memorial

Glaziers Hall Glaziers Hall

Plaque: Glaziers Hall

Inscription

The Glaziers Hall
The land in this area formed part of the site of the cloisters of the Church of St Mary Ouverie, now Southwark Cathedral. After the dissolution of the monasteries in 1540 it was sold and eventually bought by the Hays Wharf Company who built a three-storey warehouse here during the Napoleonic wars. A Georgian facade was added in 1850 and two more floors. The building was leased to the "Glaziers Company" in 1975.
After careful restoration in 1977, it became the home of the Worshipful Companies of Glaziers and Painters of Glass, Scientific Instrument Makers and Launderers and is known as "The Glaziers Hall".
Southwark
{Repeated around the border of the plaque:}
Pool of London

Site: Glaziers Hall (1 memorial)

SE1, Montague Close

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Glaziers Hall

Information Subjects commemorated

Show all 7

50528

Glaziers Hall

The first Glaziers Hall was in Fye Foot Lane and lost in the Great Fire. Fye ...

Read More

54361

dissolution of the monasteries

In 1534, for reasons not only to do with his marital situation, Henry VIII br...

Read More

54891

Napoleonic wars

Following the French Revolution France, under Napoleon, fought with most of E...

Read More

52981

Worshipful Company of Glaziers and Painters of Glass

The Guild of Glaziers (who made glass) existed in 1328 and received a Royal C...

Read More

52991

Worshipful Company of Launderers

Their coat of arms shows two women; one dressed as a Grecian godess, the othe...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Glaziers Hall

Information Created by

48901

Pool of London Partnership

From City of London : The Pool of London Partnership was established in 1996 ...

Read More

47812

Southwark Council

The London Borough of Southwark was created as an amalgamation of the Metropo...

Read More