Gainsborough Film Studios
Building From 1924 To 1949
Gainsborough Pictures was founded in 1924 by Michael Balcon. These Islington studios were closely related to those at Lime Grove, used by Gaumont-British, with Balcon as Director of Production for both.
The Islington studios were built as a power station for the Great Northern & City Railway and later converted to studios.
The studios were active 1924 - 49. However, the tall factory chimney was considered dangerous during the WW2 bombings, so Gainsborough Studios was evacuated to Lime Grove for the duration of hostilities.
These buildings were largely left derelict from 1949 until 2002 when their conversion into luxury flats began, completed in 2004.