Building    From 1775 

Freemasons' Tavern

Categories: Commerce, Food & Drink

The first, 1775, building (in the picture) was replaced by a four storey building in 1803. It was rebuilt again in 1864 by the Freemasons who, in 1909, renovated it and changed its name to the Connaught Rooms in honour of their then Grand Master, the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Freemasons' Tavern

Commemorated atInformation

Football Association

The Football Association was formed on the proposal of Ebenezer Cobb Morley a...

Read More

Geological Society of London

Geological Society of London 13 November 1807, the first geological society ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Joseph Sebag Montefiore

Joseph Sebag Montefiore

Banker, stockbroker and politician. Born and died in London. Son of Solomon Sebag and his wife Sarah Montefiore. In 1885 his surname was supplemented with royal permission with that of his mother's...

Person, Commerce, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
May Fair

May Fair

The annual 15 day May Fair used to be held at the Haymarket but in 1686 it moved to the site of Curzon Street and Shepherd Market. About 100 years later it was suppressed by the local residents, ...

Event, Commerce

1 memorial
Charles Cheers, Baron Wakefield of Hythe CGE, LLD

Charles Cheers, Baron Wakefield of Hythe CGE, LLD

Charles Cheers Wakefield was born and raised in Liverpool. (Cheers was his mother's maiden name). Became an oil-broker, founding his own firm in 1899, C.C. Wakefield & Co. later Wakefield Oil C...

Person, Commerce, Lord Mayor, Philanthropy, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Doubleday's grocery shop

Doubleday's grocery shop

Doubleday's father was a grocer and following his death Doubleday managed the business, not very well, apparently. This Facebook page has a 1975 photo of the building with the plaque, 271 High Stre...

Building, Commerce

1 memorial
Jahncke Ltd

Jahncke Ltd

From National Archives: "Tin box manufactures of Canonbury Works, Dorset Street, Islington {later renamed Dove Street}. Founded in 1873 by Ernest Jahncke and incorporated in 1893. Bryant and May ac...

Group, Commerce, Industry

1 memorial