Auxiliary Fireman Frank James Endean was born on 6 December 1904 in Bromley, Kent, the younger son of Frank James Endean (1880-1944) and Rose Endean née Taylor (1878-1949). His father was a Woollen Warehouseman. The 1911 census shows him living at 'Devon', Salisbury Road, Bromley, with his parents and two siblings: Henry Charles Endean (1903-1993) and Rose Lilian Endean (1908-1983). Kelly's Local Directories from 1915 onwards list them at 40 Salisbury Road, Bromley.
In the 3rd quarter of 1934 in the Sevenoaks registration district he married Daisy Ellen Brooks (1906-1996). The 1939 England and Wales Register records them living at 34 Aviemore Way, Beckenham, Kent, giving his occupation as Correspondence Clerk, Woollen Merchant. It also gives his AFS Serial Number as No.190 at Beckenham. He was attached to the Stanhope Grove Fire Station.
He died, aged 36 years, on 20 April 1941 when a German parachute mine landed on Auxiliary Fire Service Sub Station 24U, which was housed in Old Palace LCC School, St. Leonards Street, Poplar, and was buried at Beckenham Cemetery and Crematorium, Elmers End Road, Beckenham, BR3 4TD.
He is also commemorated on the Firefighters Memorial and in their Book of Remembrance. His name is also recorded in the Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour that is held near the entrance to St George's Chapel, at the west end of Westminster Abbey.
Credit for this entry to: Andrew Behan.