Place To 1883
Named after the Fountain Tavern which it contained, Fountain Court was built over by Savoy Buildings in 1883. In 1827 William Blake died at 3 Fountain Court, now part of the Savoy Hotel. Lawrence Silverman has kindly added the following information: Before the Fountain Tavern was built Fountain Court was called Worcester Court and gave access to Worcester House on the river. The Coal Hole Tavern was also in Fountain Court. The sites of both taverns were eventually covered by Terry's Theatre, as was that of the original Simpson's-in-the-Strand (Simpson's Grand Divan Tavern) on the left-hand side of the passage.