mobile nav


Fountain Court

Fountain Court

Place  To 1883

Categories: Other

Named after the Fountain Tavern which it contained, Fountain Court was built over by Savoy Buildings in 1883. In 1827 William Blake died at 3 Fountain Court, now part of the Savoy Hotel.  Lawrence Silverman has kindly added the following information:  Before the Fountain Tavern was built Fountain Court was called Worcester Court and gave access to Worcester House on the river. The Coal Hole Tavern was also in Fountain Court. The sites of both taverns were eventually covered by Terry's Theatre, as was that of the original Simpson's-in-the-Strand (Simpson's Grand Divan Tavern) on the left-hand side of the passage. 

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Fountain Court

Information Commemorated at

Fountain Court

This way was called Fountain Court until 1883 from the Fountain Tavern which ...

Read More