Organ builder. Born north-west London. His first London workshop was in Foundling Terrace, Gray's Inn Road. Then when he got the commission to build the large organ for the Great Exhibition he moved to larger premises in Argyle Square/Street at King's Cross. In 1859 he moved his works to 119 Albany Street and in 1863 to The Rotunda in Rochester Place. Built organs for many cathedrals and, in London, for Alexandra Palace, Royal Albert Hall and St Paul's Cathedral. Died at home, Argyle Villa, 2 Bartholomew Road. The title 'father' was given partly to differentiate him from his nephews and sons who also worked in the business but also as a mark of respect.