Group    From 1824  To 1993

Dove Bros. Ltd

Categories: Property

Builders. Founded in Studd Street, Islington by William Spencer Dove (1793-1869). In 1852 his sons turned the business into a partnership. Builders of the pathology block of St Bartholomew's Hospital in 1909. They built about 130 churches and many other buildings. Still active in 1981.

In WW1 their workshops in Doves Yard were used to construct aircraft propellers as shown in this 1918 photograph.

We believe they had yards at a number of addresses in Islington, probably at different times: Moon Street; Studd Street; north of Cloudesley Place; at the north end of Barnsbury Terrace.

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Dove Bros. Ltd

Creations i

Carpenters' Hall plaque - rebuilding

The plaque refers to the unveiling day being 'Election Day'. There was no Gen...

Read More

F N Hospital - Duchess of Albany

This stone was laid on January 18th 1909 by HRH the Duchess of Albany. Presid...

Read More

Girdlers' Hall

Girdlers Hall Girdlers Hall, first built on this site in 1431, was destroyed...

Read More

Islington Lodge

Not a branch of the Freemasons, as the terminology might suggest, but a branc...

Read More

Jahncke Ltd

Jahncke Ltd This stone was laid by P. E. Beachcroft, 11th November 1912. Dir...

Read More

Other Subjects

Southern Housing Group

Southern Housing Group

Initially the Samuel Lewis Housing Trust, set up after the death of the founder in 1901. Their first housing development was in Liverpool Road, Islington. From their website: "As one of southern E...

Group, Property, Social Welfare

3 memorials
Tudor House

Tudor House

There seems to be confusion between this building on St Leonard’s Street, demolished c.1900, and Bromley Hall, which is still extant on the Blackwall Tunnel Approach Road. The normally very trustwo...

Building, Property

1 memorial
124-126 Cheapside

124-126 Cheapside

This image shows the row before 1902 when Wood Street was widened and the east-most shop was demolished. The picture source, London's Historic Shops and Markets, writes: "Built in 1687 following th...

Building, Property

1 memorial
The Elms

The Elms

The oldest building in Acton. Built as a baroque country villa by Charles Morren for Sir Joseph Ayloffe. It remained a private house until 1964. In 1981, the Twyford Church of England High School w...

Building, Property

1 memorial
T. H. Adamson & Sons

T. H. Adamson & Sons

Builders active in 1887. Andrew Behan’s research has discovered: From Wandsworth Heritage Service: "T H Adamson & Sons was founded around 1790 in Chiswick, by Thomas Adamson, and was re-named ...

Group, Property

1 memorial