Building    From 1583  To 1940

Curriers' Hall

Categories: Liveries & Guilds

The Curriers' Company began in 1272. From 1605 it built itself 6 Halls in the City, the last in 1876 (pictured), which it had to sell in the 1920s. Since then it has enjoyed the hospitality of other Companies.

A currier is someone who dresses and colours leather after it is tanned.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Curriers' Hall

Commemorated ati

Curriers' Hall

On this and nearby sites stood Curriers' Hall between 1583 and 1940. Corpora...

Read More

Other Subjects

The Worshipful Company of Loriners

The Worshipful Company of Loriners

Loriners make and sell bits, bridles, spurs, stirrups, saddle trees and the minor metal items of a horse's harness. The company was incorporated in 1711. Women were not admitted until 1989 - bette...

Group, Commerce, Liveries & Guilds

2 memorials
Cordwainers' Hall

Cordwainers' Hall

On their own website the Cordwainers declare that they have had in fact only 5 halls, not the excessive 6 stated on the plaque.  The last was built in 1909 but suffered bomb damage in WW2, which ca...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial
Blacksmiths' Hall

Blacksmiths' Hall

At 101 Queen Victoria Street 1668 - 1785, according to the plaque but strangely the Salvation Army's account of the history of the site of their offices doesn't mention it. In 1785 the lease on the...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial