A gateway, it is the only complete remaining building of Barking Abbey. Built in the 14th century and reconstructed in 1460, it now forms the main entrance to the churchyard of St Margaret's Church. It has been extensively refaced and restored, and contains a large mid-twelfth century rood.
The 12th century stone head now in the chapel over the gateway was the object of pilgrimage in medieval times.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk