Covent Garden Market
Place From 1670
The piazza, created in 1630 by Inigo Jones for Francis the 4th Earl of Bedford, attracted stalls and hawkers so in 1670 the 5th Earl decided to formalise and profit from the situation and obtained permission from King Charles II for a market. In the 1800s buildings were erected, extended and roofed over. Large vehicles and congestion meant that in 1974 the market moved out to Nine Elms. The old market narrowly avoided demolition, was restored and is now a major tourist attraction.