Coutts & Co Bank
Group From 1692
Founded by Scottish goldsmith, John Campbell, who set up shop at the sign of the Three Crowns on the Strand. In 1755 James Coutts married John Campbell’s granddaughter and the Bank became known as Campbell & Coutts. In 1761, Thomas Coutts joined his brother James and their partnership continued until 1775, when James retired through ill-health. The Bank took the title of Thomas Coutts & Co. Thomas had 3 daughters by his first wife, and when she died he took a second wife, Harriot. When he died in 1822 his half share passed to his widow and the bank became Coutts & Co. On Harriot's death she left the immense wealth to Thomas's granddaughter by his first wife, Angela Burdett who added Coutts to her name.
In 1904 the bank moved to its current home at 440 Strand. In 1914 it acquired Robarts, Lubbock & Co of 15 Lombard Street, which became Coutts' first branch. The acquisition also gave Coutts a seat in the Bankers Clearing House, coincidentally sharing the Lombard Street address.
1969 Coutts joined the new National Westminster Bank which was itself acquired by RBS in 2000. Coutts now provides wealth management services to the clients.